Taben-Rodt (population 784)
with district Hamm
High above the Saartal, right on the northern border to Saarland and surrounded by forests is the tourist community of Taben-Rodt.
The first mention of the area came in 634. But more significant is the fact that the area was gifted by King Pepin to the abbey of St. Maximin in Trier in 768. In 962 the abbey built a collegiate church, which was sold together with all of its land during the time of the French in 1810 and later elevated to a manor with a right of election under Prussian control in 1831. In 1931 the collegiate church was taken over by the Order of Carmelites, who built a home with a private school there, which is still in existence today. The mortal remains of St. Quiricus are buried in the parish church.
The most romantic historic witness is the legendary Michaelskapelle (St. Michael's chapel), dating from the 15th century. On a steep, pointed rock, it looms high above the Saar.
On the right-hand side of the Saar, the Düro family has been mining quartzite rock in Saarhausen since 1877. The “Tabener Urwald” nature reserve and the “Saar precipice on the Kaiserweg” invite travellers to hike through wild and steep rocky landscapes. This small town of Hamm is situated in a wide loop of the Saar north of Taben-Rodt.
Accommodation in hotels, bed and breakfasts and holiday homes, St. Michael’s chapel, St. Joseph’s collegiate church, Maunert and Koppelfels viewing points, the nature reserves of “Tabener Urwald” and “Saar precipice on the Kaiserweg”, fruit tree nature trail, festival (4 weeks after Easter), high-ropes course / team obstacle course, private mineral and fossil museum