Irsch (population 1.525)
Comfortably stretched out in the former Saar valley lies the wine area of Irsch. There is evidence of settlement of the area as far back as the 2nd and 4th centuries. Irsch was first recorded between 957 and 960. Te local name has existed in its current written form since 1097. The first wine-growers’ association in the Saar was established here as far back as 1897. Today several self-marketed winegrowers offer their quality wine and sparkling sect. The approximately 1,500 inhabitants have succeeded in maintaining the traditional village image and restored older, distinctive houses. On the village square is a sedate rubbing stone made of sandstone as a witness to earlier agricultural techniques. Bronze plaques on the restored village fountain could tell stories about life in earlier times. A distinctive landmark in the area is the parish church. The Roman east tower dates from the 11th century.
Accommodation in guesthouses, bed and breakfasts and holiday homes, wine tasting, wine festival in August, wide range of events, large general purpose hall, modern shooting range, barbecue facilities, badminton, beach volleyball, boules, Nordic walking obstacle course