Freudenburg (population 1.705)
with Kollesleuken disrict
The history of Freudenburg is as varied as the surrounding landscape. In the 14th century King John of Bohemia, Count of Luxembourg, built the “Freudenburg” fortress, then known as “Freyding”, to secure his property at the foot of the 440m-high Eiderberg. Fortress ruins, the neck ditch and castle gate all remain. The area was referred to as a “city” as far back as 1346. As a small farming centre, Freudenberg took over centralised functions for the surrounding villages.
Today, the former fortress town is a holiday destination, particularly for nature lovers. On the Eidenberg, visitors will find rare, protected plants and in the romantic Leukbachtal below, with the district of Kollesleuken, they can take pleasure in the interesting rock formations of coloured sandstone, shell limestone and quartzite. Many hiking trails cross the meadows and forests of this wonderful reserve – this is why it is also known as the Switzerland of Kollesleuken.
Freudenburg fortress complex, city wall and old city gate, Ducsaal venue with live music concerts, accommodation in holiday homes, nature reserve, “Eiderberg” with rare orchids, tennis, barbecue facilities, bird nature trail, old town festival in July, water-treading basin in Kollesleuken, carriage rides, horse riding