in the centre of Wawern
Wawern traditionally had a strong Jewish community, whose roots might possibly be traced back to the limited permission to reside granted in 1723 by Elector Franz Georg von Schönborn to 165 families in the electorate. Before the middle of the 19th century a synagogue community had been established, which in 1933 still had 45 members and in 1940 was extinguished. The synagogue, built in 1839, is designed as a biaxial hall. It was demolished on November 30th 1938, later used for purposes other than intended and thereafter lay in ruins for years. In 1993 it underwent exemplary restoration and today serves as a cultural centre.
The synagogue is only open for special events. It is possible to look through several windows to see the interior.