Wawern (population 577)
The town is situated a little to the west of the Saar canal in a valley, in whose depths an extensive wetland has formed, the “Wawern Fissure”, which is now a conservation area. The first mention of Wawern is in the year 1030, as Wawera. Wine-growing is evident as far back as the 14th century. In the T-shaped town centre, which is marked as a memorial zone, are numerous houses dating back as far as the early 19th century. The synagogue, restored in 1993, and a rabbi’s residence (former Jewish school), are dedicated to the Jewish synagogue community established in the 19th century. In the western part of the town are the Trier-Saarburg water works, which were built in 1911/12. On a walk along the historic nature trail, visitors gain valuable insight into the history of the region, as well as geology and viticulture. It also leads past incredibly beautiful vantage points.
Accommodation in holiday homes, synagogue with village square, Hirschkornhaus, “Wawern Fissure” nature reserve, barbecue facilities, tennis, historic nature trail, wine tasting, cultural days/festival on the 3rd weekend in June, nordic-walking