Oberbillig (population 979)
Oberbillig, an old fishing and sailors’ village, is situated across from the confluence of the Sauer into the Moselle. The history of the area is closely associated with that of its Luxembourgian neighbour opposite, Wasserbillig. The only car and passenger ferry on the German-Luxembourg Moselle still maintains the connection between both areas today. The first mention of the area as Overbillich dates from 1293. The district name is derived from the Celtic Billliacum. As the feudal lords, the Counts of Luxembourg maintained a customs post here. The community is also linked to the fishing and sailing tradition with the Haus der Fischerei (Fisheries House). The main residence, built at the end of the 19th century, was created in the style of a “Trier Einhaus” (single house) and throughout its restoration has maintained a facade that is clearly typical of the region.
Accommodation in holiday homes, the Moselle ferry, Pieterhaus, barbecue facilities, angling, wine tasting, skating