Nittel (population 2.367)
with districts Köllig and Rehlingen
The largest wine village at the Obermosel is located in a scenic wide bow of the river and reaches from the quayside up to the heights of the Moselle. High rocks of Dolomite and Lime give an impressive panorama. One can find lots of sea lilies, sea snails and cancers, originating from the time of the Triassic ocean in the rocks.
High above the village, in the vine yards, the pilgrimage chapel of St. Rochus offers a fantastic view into the valley of the Moselle. Celtic, Franconian and Roman findings proof, that the area around Nittel was urbanised very early. In 2000, at the occasion of earth works, a well conserved Roman brick-kiln of the 2nd or 3rd century could be excavated. This finding confirms the assumption, that the Nittel region was home of an early form of industry.
Nittel today presents itself as a modern wine and vacation village.
In the early modern era, Nittel was the sovereign property of the Duchy of Lorraine. It was only as part of an exchange of territory in 1769 that the town became part of Luxembourg and in 1795 it was assigned to the French.
Today, Nittel is a modern wine-growing tourism centre. The Elbling Wine Trail, the “Ebertälchen” relaxation resort and wine tasting, to provide an interesting change of pace.
Accommodation in hotels, bed and breakfasts and holiday homes – primarily in vineyards, St. Rochus Church, limestone rocks, rock trail, wine trail, tennis courts, minigolf centre, bowling, skating, angling, barbecue facilities, wine tasting, wine festival on the 3rd weekend in August, open wine cellar day on the 1st weekend in May, “Langheck und Nitteler Fels” nature reserve, Nordic walking obstacle course, boules, wellness centre and sauna in hotels